Neymar returned to the Brazilian national team on Monday (18) after almost two years of absence — his last match for the team was in October 2023. Coach Carlo Ancelotti announced at Rio de Janeiro's Museum of Tomorrow the list of 26 players called up for the 2026 World Cup, including the 34-year-old striker who will compete in his fourth World Cup. ✓
Press quotes (2)
"O técnico da Seleção Brasileira, Carlo Ancelotti, já está no Museu do Amanhã para a convocação da Copa do Mundo 2026"
"The 34-year-old, Brazil's all-time leading scorer, returns from a prolonged absence due to a series of injuries that kept him out for much of the qualifying campaign"
The call-up had international repercussions as an unexpected decision. Argentine newspaper Olé said that 'the soap opera ended' around the Santos player, who was called up 'against all odds.' Associated Press classified the list as 'a squad that many local analysts and former players considered unlikely just days ago,' while France's L'Équipe called Neymar's presence 'a surprise that many had lost hope for.' ✓
Press quotes (3)
"Na Argentina, o diário Olé disse que "terminou a novela" em torno da convocação ou não do jogador do Santos, que foi chamado "contra todos os prognósticos""
"Já a agência The Associated Press classificou a lista de Ancelotti como "uma seleção que muitos analistas locais e ex-jogadores consideravam improvável há poucos dias""
"Segundo o jornal francês, a presença do atacante na lista "é uma surpresa que muitos já haviam perdido a esperança""
Ancelotti had previously stated that Neymar's inclusion would be based on fitness and form, not sentiment. The striker — Brazil's all-time leading scorer with 79 goals — spent most of the qualifiers sidelined by a series of injuries, including a torn anterior cruciate ligament in October 2023. ✓
Press quotes (2)
"He told Reuters earlier this month that Neymar's inclusion would be based on fitness and form, not sentiment"
"The 34-year-old, Brazil's all-time leading scorer"
About 700 media professionals from more than 13 countries were present at the call-up event. The national team reports to Granja Comary on May 27 and debuts in the World Cup against Morocco on June 13 in the United States. ✓
Press quotes (1)
"Cerca de 700 profissionais de imprensa de mais de 13 países estão no local para acompanhar o evento"
This will be Neymar's fourth World Cup
Covered by only some sources, or where the accounts diverge.
Covered by only some sources (2)
João Pedro was left out despite being Chelsea's Premier League top scorer
Neymar has 79 goals for the Brazilian national team
-
What was Ancelotti's specific criteria for including Neymar after almost two years of absence?
Why it's still unknown: Ancelotti mentioned the decision would be based on fitness and form, but did not publicly detail the specific parameters used to evaluate the striker
-
Why was João Pedro, Chelsea's Premier League top scorer, left out of the squad?
Why it's still unknown: Although Ancelotti said he 'chose another player' based on 'individual characteristics,' he did not specify which characteristics were decisive
-
What is the strongest argument against Neymar's call-up?
Why it's still unknown: International press highlighted doubts about physical condition and prolonged absence, but no expert presented detailed technical argumentation against the decision