← Back to feed

Trump announces 'largely negotiated' Iran deal; Tehran disputes claim

2 sources · 24 May 2026
2 agreed · 1 partial · 1 conflicts

President Donald Trump said Saturday afternoon that a peace deal with Iran had been "largely negotiated" and would include opening the Strait of Hormuz, following calls with leaders from ten Middle Eastern and Muslim-majority countries. The statement was made in a Truth Social post, where Trump said "final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly."

Press quotes (2)
Cbs News Live Updates (May 23, 2026)

"In a Truth Social post late Saturday afternoon, President Trump said that a potential peace deal with Iran had been "largely negotiated," but was still "subject to finalization between" the U.S., Iran and "various other" Middle Eastern nations. He also noted that under the terms of the agreement, "the Strait of Hormuz will be opened.""

Cbs News Live Updates (May 23, 2026)

""Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly," Mr. Trump said."

The Iranian Fars agency disputed the American version the same day, calling Trump's statement "incomplete" and "far from reality." According to Fars, the most recent negotiation text provides that the strait would remain under Iranian administration, with Iran controlling "routes, schedules, passage methods, and permit issuance." The agency admitted that Tehran agreed to allow ship volumes to return to pre-war levels, but emphasized this "does not mean free passage."

Press quotes (1)
InfoMoney

"A agência de notícias semioficial iraniana Fars News contestou neste sábado (23) a afirmação do presidente americano Donald Trump de que o Estreito de Ormuz seria reaberto como parte de um acordo de paz com o Irã, classificando a declaração de "incompleta" e "longe da realidade"."

The announcement comes after months of crisis in the Strait of Hormuz, a strategic route for global oil transport that has been largely blocked since February 28, when the United States and Israel launched attacks against Iran and assassinated Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei. In retaliation, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps issued warnings forbidding passage through the strait and attacked merchant ships.

Press quotes (1)
Wikipedia: 2026 Strait Of Hormuz Crisis

"Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, a major maritime choke point for world energy trade, has been largely blocked by Iran since 28 February 2026, when the United States and Israel launched an air war against Iran and assassinated its supreme leader, Ali Khamenei."

Trump confirmed participating in calls with leaders from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Pakistan, Egypt, Jordan, Bahrain, Turkey, and Qatar, plus a separate conversation with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. According to an Axios report cited by Al Jazeera, the two sides would be "getting close" to an agreement on a 14-point document that would include an Iranian commitment not to develop nuclear weapons and halt uranium enrichment for at least 12 years.

Press quotes (2)
Cbs News Live Updates (May 23, 2026)

"Mr. Trump confirmed that he took part in a call with several Middle Eastern leaders of Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Pakistan, Egypt, Jordan and Bahrain. He also said he took part in a separate call with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu which he said 'went very well.'"

Al Jazeera

"US media outlet Axios said the two sides were "getting close" to an agreement on a 14-point document. Under the memorandum, Iran would agree not to develop a nuclear weapon and halt enrichment of uranium for at least 12 years, it said."

1. What we know (2)

Trump made the announcement via Truth Social on Saturday afternoon (23)

2 sources InfoMoney Brasil 247

The Fars agency disputed Trump's version the same day

2 sources InfoMoney Brasil 247
2. Where coverage thins out (2)

Covered by only some sources, or where the accounts diverge.

Covered by only some sources (1)

Trump had previously said a decision would be made by Sunday (24)

Reported by: InfoMoney
Did not cover: Brasil 247

Conflicting versions (1)

Status of Strait of Hormuz control in potential agreement

1 source — "The strait would be reopened under the terms presented by Trump": Trump Truth Social
1 source — "The strait would remain under Iranian administration even in case of agreement": Fars News
3. What we don't know yet (3)
  • What is the official response from the State Department and Pentagon to Trump's announcement?

    Why it's still unknown: According to CBS News, the State Department and Pentagon did not immediately respond to the presidential announcement.

    Did not cover: Brasil 247
  • When will the formal announcement of the deal promised by Trump occur?

    Why it's still unknown: Trump said details would be announced 'shortly' but did not specify a date, although he had previously said a decision would be made by Sunday (24).

  • What is the official position of the Iranian government beyond the Fars agency?

    Why it's still unknown: According to InfoMoney, 'the Iranian government had not officially commented on the publication until Fars released the information'.

    Did not cover: Brasil 247

All sources

2